Saturday, May 23, 2020

Capitalization Rules: Quick tips 8

1. Capitalize the first word of a quotation
  • How do you know I'm mad?” said Alice. - correct
  • how do you know I'm mad?” said Alice. - incorrect
  • Alice whispered to her cat,“ If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense." - correct
  • Alice whispered to her cat,“ if I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense." - incorrect
2. Do not capitalize the first word of a partial quotation.
  • It’s difficult to say it will work, Sam concurred, “but I haven’t heard any better ideas.” - correct
  • It’s difficult to say it will work, Sam concurred, “But I haven’t heard any better ideas.” - incorrect
  • He called me “the worst excuse for a student” he had ever seen. - correct
  • He called me “The worst excuse for a student” he had ever seen. - incorrect



No comments: